Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Name of the Doctor

You know we have had a rather interesting season finale for a show that has been around for 50 years when...

This Guy


And This Girl


Can interact with each other in the same scene.  We have come a long way in cinematography, and to have William Hartnell's Doctor, on Gallifrey (which was not really shown nor discussed util the end of the Second Doctor's run), with Clara Oswin Oswald.  I was proud of this episode from the very beginning I guess you could say.  For a storyline that is going to be wrapped up in the 50th Anniversary Special, to have interaction with the very first Doctor was the best way to kick it off.


You will probably love it as much as I did.  We also get to see Susan briefly in that scene to.  The feels man, the feels.  I always told people who knew of Classic Who that one day, she would come back, yes, she would come back.  Until then, no fears, no regrets, no anxieties.  We would just go forward in watching Doctor Who, and hope that I am not mistaken in my hopes.  Hello Susan, hello my dear.

I will not discuss a lot of it, for spoilers sake (except for the kind of sort of big reveal, but I think the journey to that point is what makes it epic, plus, it's plastered all over the intarwebz already), but this was I think a fantastic way to kick off a two parter, even if we now have to wait until November 23rd.  This episode, in my honest opinion, was full of win.


River Song returned, which lead to a few heart-wrenching moments.  River sometimes reminds me of a certain somebody I know, and this same person remarks to me about how I sometimes act like the Eleventh Doctor.  We got to see the Great Intelligence again.  I always tend to remark how the Great Intelligence was kind of sort of equated to the Old One Yog-Sothoth in the Doctor Who novels, so seeing the Great Intelligence in the form of Doctor Simeon, to me, after knowing that fact, is a bit weird.  Yog-Sothoth (and the Great Intelligence in the old series) is supposed to be a conglomeration of iridescent, glowing spheres, but hey, with great power come great abilities to look like whatever the hell you want.

And, spoilerific section time, skip to the bold ASDFGHJKL; if you don't want to read (and try to avoid the image):

















John Hurt playing a regeneration of the Doctor that we haven't scene before was a bit of a surprise.  When I heard he was going to be in the 50th, I assumed a third actor playing the First Doctor, but seeing him as a Valeyardesque not-so-good-guy Doctor was, shall I say, curious... very curious.

And the in general demeanor, shows a man wracked by guilt.  I can't wait to see where they go with this.



















ASDFGHJKL;

I hope that was enough spaces.

Anyway, if you haven't caught the episode yet, you can probably find it online somewhere, or you can wait until Thursday to watch it (for us BBCA people that is, I don't know for the UK).  You won't regret it.

I guess the only bad thing I could say about the episode is how I feel like certain parts were a bit rushed, and that I would have liked to have seen more Classic Doctors interact with Clara, beyond the Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) glancing at her in the rear-view mirror of Bessie.

That's all I have to say.

 P.S. And yes, I have a celeb-crush on Jenna Louise-Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment