Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Nine Philosophical Thoughts About Blogging

With a year of blogging, and now running two blogs, I have come to think about a lot of things, a lot of interesting things:

You're not always going to get readers

I think my first major shock was that, despite some marketing, I am not a very well read or circulated blog, and that's okay.  I don't think blogging will ever become a living for me, and that's okay to.  Blogging is an artform to some degree, and the most important thing about art is that it comes from within, and that it becomes your passion.  I don't write the best poems, or play a mean game of Floorball, but I enjoy it, and I turn it into art.


Aristotle saw that we experience catharsis through art, and that the imitation art brings is good.  To me, that is a lot healthier than the ever ascetic Plato, who saw art as a lie (and that is coming from a Neoplatonist, then again, Neoplatonists love art).


You meet a lot of other interesting bloggers

Burlesque performers, atheist philosophers, not much else beyond that, but still.  In a sense, blogging opens up the world, because people actually wind up wanting to read your thoughts on kittens, sex, video games, important stuff, etc.  This opens you up to new ideas and new expressions.


Verbosity and Expression

Writing blogs has lead to me being more verbose and thus more able to express myself.  I always had a sucky time trying to put my thoughts in writing, well, accorsing to SOME English teachers, some thought I was a-ok at it.  Either way, this has opened up new things for me, like my campaign setting and table-top rpg that I am making.  In a sense, bloging has helped me reach a sense of eudaimona, and knowledge of what could possibly be my True Will.  It has opened me to experiencing new emotions as well.


Wuv, twu wuv

Mawage, mawage is what bwings us togevuh today.


Blogging has opened me up emotionally to new experiences to, as I stated right above this.  My Dystopia Rising character was in some ways born because of this blog.  Finnegan as a character I believe shares a birthday with this blog.  I have broken out of my shell and set my emotional shield aside for the first time, and its exciting.


Talking about my hobbies strengthens them

Like I also stated above, this blog has started me on the path of strengthening my Role-Playing, and even writing my own stuff for role-playing (like my own table-top RPG).  Strengthening my hobby also makes it possible to turn it into a source of income, which can fuel my life  They say you should do what you love, and I think that is, for once, a diamond of wisdom within capitalism that echos eudaimona and the True Will.


Dear Kyberia, it's me, Kyle

Remember how I said that, for the most part, no more spirituality here, here is one of those exceptions.  Blogging has opened me to new spiritual experiences.  For whatever fears I had over Pagan Blog Project consuming this nerdy blog (and thus why it switched to my Pagan blog), it deepened my connection to the divine, and brought new inspiration.


What is laziness?

So blogging means I spend a lot of time in front of the computer, which means my very active carpenter father thinks I am being lazy.  But what is laziness, but idling ones time not doing something constructive.  And as we have seen what this blog has done for me, isn't that contructive?  And working on my RPG entails a lot of trial, error, and testing.  That doesn't sound lazy at all.



What is Blogging

So then what is blogging if it is not inspiration and art?  Is it also entertainment, it sure keeps me entertained.  It brings me joy, and thus...


The Meaning of Life
Life is suffering and pain.  We seek to find joy and happiness despite that.  Therefore, the meaning of life is to find joy, the good life, the eudaimona.  This blog has given me that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment