Sunday, June 2, 2013

11 Doctor Who Thoughts

I come to today on a very news-worthy time for Doctor Who.  We have the 50th, Matt Smith is leaving, and 12th Doctor speculations abound.  So much to write about, so let's begin my 11 Doctor Who Thoughts!


1
As I'm sure you have read back in my blog post about the season finale, the chance to see William Hartnell and Jenna-Louise Coleman "together" was a remarkable moment.  I was starting to get worried that we would see very little of the classic series, and I still am worried that seeing those glimpses would be the extent of it, but I will have to wait until November to see if I was all worried for nothing.  Right now, just knowing that William Hartnell got to have a posthumous appearance as the Doctor is good enough for me.

2
So Matt Smith is leaving.  That was the BBC's big news last night.  I talked about it to some friends while watching Star Wars, and reactions are mixed, obviously.  Myself?  While Matt Smith isn't my favorite Doctor, I act so much like him, and grew used to him.  A little ambivalent to see the death/regeneration scene, would it be like watching myself die?  I mean, seeing as how I am, apparently, so much like him.  Is it going to be like the Buddhist meditation on visualizing your body decaying after death?  I'm not scared of death, not in the least bit; it would just be weird to watch my own death.

3
I do not know how I would feel about a female Doctor.  Mainly for two reasons.  One is that there are female Gallifreyans (Time Ladies) that exist, and if they wanted one, just have like Romana hidden away with a Chameleon Arch like The Master.  Also, as much as he can write some good storied, Steven Moffat isn't the best at writing believable female characters sometimes.  I wouldn't go as far as some people do and call him sexist, because I strongly doubt he is sexist at all, its just that I think he relies too much on tropes dealing with women.  Don't believe me, just go to TV Tropes and read some of them, and then think back to one of his episodes.

On second thought, don't.  I think I might have consigned you
to a slow yet informative death...

4
If anyone should play the Doctor, I would want to see either Rupert Grint or Sean Pertwee.  Rupert would definitely beat out Matt Smith as the youngest actor to play the Doctor (before Smith it was Davison who was youngest).  And I think it would be fitting to finally have the Doctor have his one biological wish, to be ginger, especially since what comes after the Twelth Doctor is... well... erm... how to explain this to the fan girls.


Sean Pertwee is the son of Jon Pertwee, who played the Third Doctor.  I like Jon's Doctor, especially how boss he was.  Plus, it would also be interesting to see what would happen if the Doctor retook a form from early on in his life, but with some differences.  Sean looks a lot like his father.

5
So with the Great Intelligence gone, and no Silence or Daleks really, who should the next Big Bad be for the Doctor.  It is possible it could be the Valeyard, or whatever John Hurt would very curiously bring forth (I apologize for the Ollivanders reference there), I would love to possibly see Sutekh again.  Sutekh the Destroyer was the antagonist of one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes of all time, the Pyramids of Mars.  He is an Osirian, and Osirians are God-Like.  I think one of the problems would be that this would have to be Sutekh before the Fourth Doctor encountered him, and also before his imprisonment by Horus, which might make things messy.  Oh well, it was a good thought.

6
Whatever happened to Davros?  Did the Planets in the Sky and the Reality Bomb actually happen?  Was that restored after the Doctor fixed the cracks in space?  If so, is Davros still alive?  Moffat, please answer about this, and please don't make a stupid Reality Bomb plot.  I think Davros is smart enough to not make some sort of Xanatos Gambit to defeat the Doctor.

7
I don't know what happened, but at least for one small cameo, bring back Christopher Eccleston.  I actually rather liked the Ninth Doctor.  It's a shame that he was only on for one season.

8
On that note, bring back Paul McGann for an episode or so.  Despite the 8th Doctor being in more Radio Plays and Comics than any other Doctor, he only had one TV appearance in the somewhat lackluster TV Movie.


9
I'm starting to run out of thinks to think about, so I'm just going to type out a few words like: bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity do yickity ta ping pong lippy tappy too taa...

10
I want to see more of Jenny, no, not the Jenny with Vastra and Strax, but Jenny, Georgia Moffet's Jenny; Peter Davison's daughter's Jenny.  She still has an awful lot of running to do, and I hated leaving her with that.  I want her to possibly come back, if not as a companion, as a cameo in another episode.

11
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
WHERE IS CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS!!!

Even Lemurs love John Barrowman!

Seriously, he was probably one of the best characters to ever come out of the New Series so far!  He was like a charismatic William Riker to the more laid-back Picard of the Doctor.  I was really hoping he would be there for the 50th.  Alas, he won't be there, but I can always hope he will make another appearance, or that at least Torchwood will continue.  I have my own thoughts on Torchwood to...

...but that's a story for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment