Sunday, March 17, 2013

Khaleesi

So I'm sure you want to know about my trip to see Destiny?

Game of Thrones, that's what happened.


While there are some details I do not go into for privacy reasons, I can assuredly tell you that there was much Game of Thrones to be had.  She and I got our fill of gold, women, golden women; the works.  With that said, you are probably expecting some sort of review of the series.  Well...

I.  LOVE.  GAME OF THRONES.

And that is the truth, I cannot lie.  It's everything that I love in a fantasy setting, and everything I put into my campaigns.  When I finally get more money I am getting the books, maybe even the table-top game of it to.  The stories set in Westeros are probably some of the better fantasy stories I have seen in a while, in my honest opinion.  Right now I am working my way through season two, and so far I cannot wait until season 3 is released.  The excitement is killing me.

To those who know the series will probably why I titled this blog Khaleesi, the term used to describe the wife of the Khal, given to the character Daenerys Targaryen.  Well, there are a few reasons why I could have.  It could be for the fact that Daenerys is my favorite character (and she is, next to Arya and Tyrion, but then again, who can hate Tyrion)?

I know I said that line already in this blog, but it needs to be restated.

No.

That is not the reason.

The real reason is that my trip was epic, I felt like a Khal, and the title seemed fitting.  Plus, the Dothraki have perhaps the most romantic terms for the one(s) you love: moon of my life, directed at females; and my sun and stars, directed at males.  I am a hopeless romantic, nothing describes me better, well, maybe nerd and adventurer, but that's besides the point.  I heard the terms and fell in love with them.  Probably why I love the character Daenerys so much.  Sure, she might not have Arya's spirit, or the rapier wit and snark of Tyrion, but she is awesome in her own right.  Daenerys is a romantic character, romantic in the inspirational sense and not the lovey-dovey sense, and I think Emilia Clarke plays the role well.

We all need inspiration sometimes.  Sometimes we are inspired by the courageous acts of real-life heroes, people who run into burning buildings or bring the sick and injured to the hospital at 3 AM.  Sometimes we inspire ourselves, as role-players (if you are one) especially, since the characters we play are extensions of ourselves.  Sometimes we take inspiration from religious and philosophical figures.  I, for one, am inspired by Aristotle and Crowley and such.  Many would state Jesus in that regard, and he's pretty inspirational.  And then we have fictional characters.  Fictional characters are at their most real when they inspire us, never forget that.  A while back I had a blog post about how magical inspiration really is.  Something I noticed is that we love what inspires us, and we want more of it.  Its how favorite games, movies, books, and the like begin.  They become that because of how they inspire us.

So, here I sit, awaiting the new episodes of Game of Thrones.  Interestingly enough, they start around the same time as the new episodes of Doctor Who.  So I shall nerd out epically.

Also, I'm sure it can be guessed that Destiny and I are very close, and yes, we are.  I usually don't go into my private life all too much, since what you keep private is what you truly own in the world; but she and I are very close.  So guess who I called moon of my life?  Guess her reply?

I apologize if this blog is a little scatter-brained.  I just wanted to type this up while I still felt inspired :).

No comments:

Post a Comment