Thursday, March 7, 2013

Five For Five

Apparently I have been making blog posts since Sunday, so I'm Five For Fucking Five.  As such, today, I am celebrating this blogchievement by counting down my top five favorite RPGs of all time (I'll specifically say RPGs, even though the #1 is also my all time favorite video game of all time).  Also, trigger warning, THERE'S NO FINAL FANTASY VII...BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

5: Pokemon Gold/Silver


I really didn't get into the Pokemon series until I played Gold Version.  While I had Red and Yellow, I was more interested in the anime (and later, the manga).  However, it all changed with Gold.  Just the scope, fighting a revived Team Rocket, exploring two regions, and the surprise last trainer in the game was just a kind of cementing of just how much more I loved this game over its predecesors.  I haven't played HeartGold or SoulSilver, but I so desperately want to.  I guess the later Pokemon games kind of turned me off of the series, the later games I felt didn't add much to the series besides new Pokemon (even though Absol is my favorite, next to Scyther and Charmander).  However, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Pokemon Gold (and Silver and Crystal to).
Systems: GB, GBC, DS (Remake)
4: Chrono Trigger


I never owned an SNES, I was a Genesis guy, so I missed out on this great title until it was rereleased on the DS.  I spent the next few days afterwards just knuckling myself in the face in regret for not having an SNES. This is like Doctor Who had sex with D&D, and this was the baby.  Plus, Magus' theme, which you can listen to by playing the video, is just epic, and that whole scene was epic.  Probably one of the best aspects of this game was that, once you reached the End of Time, you could beat the game, everything else was basically optional side-quests that you didn't need to do.  Oh my, do I love adventure, and exploring the different time periods on my own pace, and learning the truth about the apocalypse to come to the world that you have to stop, just made this a wonderful experience.
Systems: SNES, DS

3: Golden Sun (three-way tie between Books I-III)


If I was truely honest, the previous two spots would have the other Golden Sun games, but since originally Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age were supposed to be part of the same game until they realized a GBA cart could only hold so much awesome, I lumped them together, and decided to add Dark Dawn because it looked lonely (though honestly, I have my criticisms about Dark Dawn, especially about it being too easy).  What can I say about Golden Sun.  Honestly, it has the best theme song I have ever heard in my life, just from the get go I knew this was going to be awesome, and how!  If it wasn't for nostalgia and such, this game would be on the top of my list.  They world of Weyard felt like an honest-to-the-Gods real place to me, and I love how the first two games basically were from opposing points of view, making one wonder who was the true villain?
Systems: GBA (Books I and II), DS (Book III)

2: Dragon Warrior III


Besides Pokemon Red, which was my first RPG officially, I would say this was my first TRUE introduction to RPGs.  Granted, I played the GBC version, but I loved every moment of the game.  While basic by today's standards, this game has everything you need right in it: a class system, an epic storyline, the NES difficulty that everyone loves to hate (but not Battletoads level of difficulty).  This game serves as the prequel to Dragon Warrior I, thus tying up the loose ends of the Loto/Erdrick Trilogy of the Dragon Warrior/Quest series.  However, I must admit one thing, despite playing this game so many times, the first time I played I actually had to have my friend beat Baramos for me.  However, everything else I did on my own, including the two secret dungeons.  Also, who doesn't love the Dragon Warrior/Quest Overture?
Systems: NES, SNES, GBC

1: Grandia


I LOVE Grandia, LOVE it, so much so I have to put LOVE in capital letters every time I write about this game.  Honestly, I don't know what it is about this game.  The plot is for the most part predictable, I've only beaten it once, so why do I love it so much?  Maybe its the lovable characters, maybe its because of one of the most amazing battle systems for an RPG I've ever experienced, maybe it's because I am like the real-life Justin.  Whatever it is, I LOVE this game, and I'm sure you would do if you gave it a chance
Systems: PS1

No comments:

Post a Comment