Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spring Cleaning

Its time to muse, and to talk about my day (read: my day yesterday, I fell asleep writing this post).

I have a somewhat on-again-off-again social life.  One one hand, I am some sort of Western Hikikomori that is occasionally riddled with social anxiety.  Other days I am this busy social butterfly who goes out and does some pretty amazing things.  This is a story about the latter.

So my D&D group got together today to clean out the basement Nerd Room/Work Shop of the group member who owns the house we play in.  It was all necessary upkeep, sweeping and stuff, plus I got some scrap metal out of it, and two Atari 2600's that I can sell.  The group regaled in stories of previous campaigns and adventures, and we feasted upon pizza, garlic knots, and buffalo wings; a feast of champions.


I feel like today not only was a spring cleaning of the Nerd Room, but also of the mind, refining ideas for my campaign setting, and bouncing ideas off of each other.  I gave to the current DM of the group a sort of very basic version of Wintermoot Island, which he loved (mainly just the Ice Giant Jarldom that has seen better days).  The discussion also had me clean up some of the major adventuring ideas (like my Rukarazyll encounter that I have eventually planned), and came up with new ones, as well as discarding old ones.  Sometimes a good mental cleaning and inventory is necessary.

Spring cleaning also lead to me meditating for a short while on my income.  I am still looking for a job, and am really trying to find a job within Sociology, since I have a degree in it.  Some say that Sociology and the Social Sciences in general are junk degrees, but I personally believe that it is only a junk degree if you don't go forth and use it.  Besides, I'm more worried about finding a fulfilling job, not a high-paying one.  But still, sometimes its a crapshoot trying to find a job in your field, especially in a not-so-populated area.  Hopefully, I will find something soon.

With spring cleaning and job hunting, I have also reflected on what is important in life.  Good times with friends and innovative ideas.  Seeing the House-Owner's home-made chess set was an inspiration for one source of income I know is coming.  Destiny and I talked once about Etsy accounts, something that I wonder if I could make happen.  It also made me think of not only my campaign settings, but also of a Fantasy RPG board game that I had floating around in my head.  Future plans for future times, but for now, good to plan.

The chess-set of awesome

So the night ended and I drove home with scrap metal, two Ataris, some new ideas, and a good reminder on the importance of having a job.  Pretty productive, not bad for a day of cleaning and loafing around :).

No comments:

Post a Comment