Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I Voted!

"Is voting! I am glad to not only take part in a huge election, but to continue this ancient tradition of the popular vote stretching all the way back to the Greeks :)"
-My post on Facebook

I did it, I continued this wonderful and ancient tradition of the popular vote, that we have a right to control our own lives.  It is a very empowering experience to be honest.  I have voted before, but never before have I voted in an event so big (and polarized).  At this moment I just want to state that I do not care who you vote for, I just care that you vote.  Sure, I would hope one candidate would become elected over the other for president, and that I hope another candidate would get enough votes to be noticed by the media that we are more than two parties; but despite that, just voting is what's important (and in all actuality, if it wasn't so close a race, I would have voted for Gary).


Why is voting so important?  We are a nation born of the Enlightenment, born on Enlightenment values, that all men are equal and free.  I know some of our Founding Fathers were slave owners and that all men originally meant all white men, no one is perfect, and neither is any society perfect, but what matter is that today we really do try to live up to that principal of equality.  All democratic systems, whether Republic or Parliament or the like, are all based on what the people want.  From modern countries like the USA, the UK, Japan, etc.; and all the way back to the city-state of Athens, democracy was considered a virtue, despite all of its flaws.  I to, love democracy, flaws and all.


I also am proud that voting and democracy is a Pagan tradition.  I really don't want this to turn into a Pagan blog.  Yes, I am a Pagan, but that is not what this blog is all about.  This blog is about my life, and my commentary on life, and while Paganism plays a role in it, it's not the end all be all of this blog.  That being said, I am proud of those ancient ancestors, devoted to Athena, who upheld and were one of the first to practice the popular vote.  To the Greeks, even the Gods voted!  I to, love that we find mythic meaning in the vote, even today.

But in the end, I am glad to not only take part in a huge election, but to continue this ancient tradition of the popular vote stretching all the way back to the Greeks.  And I hope in the far-flung future, in an interplanetary society, we still vote to elect our leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment